First Violin - Refinished

I didn't know much about varnishes when I did my first violin, and I was very impatient. I ended up covering it with a basic shellac, brushed on coarsely. I accomplished the entire varnishing project in a few hours, including dry time. Needless to say, that is a rather amateur approach. After a few years, I decided to scrape off my original finish and experiment with some other varnish techniques. This second attempt is almost as outrageous as the first: Bright red nitrocellulose lacquer over a yellow base coat. I used a spray gun, applied several coats, and polished it out nicely. It was a better technique, rather experimental for a violin if not quite for a guitar.